Fifty out of 100. As in, I'm average. Or so I think I am.
I dislike extremes of just about everything -- from temperatures, to politics, to clothing, to religious beliefs. In terms of religion, I'm about as middle-of-the-road as they come. Part of a mainline Protestant denomination. The mainline Protestant denominations are: Anglican (Episcopalian), American Baptist, Congregational (United Church of Christ), Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, United Methodist, and Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
Recently, a Christianity Today journalist surveyed all the editions of the mainline Protestant hymnals and compiled a list of thirteen hymns that appear in all 28 hymnals. The 13 most popular Protestant hymns (since they appear in all 28 hymnals, they're the most popular, right?) are:
- Abide with Me: Fast Falls the Eventide
- All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name
- Come, Ye Thankful People, Come
- Crown Him with Many Crowns
- Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken
- Guide Me, Oh Thou Great Jehovah
- Holy, Holy, Holy! Lord God Almighty
- How Firm a Foundation, Ye Saints
- In the Cross of Christ I Glory
- Jesus Shall Reign Wher'er the Sun
- Love Divine, All Loves Excelling
- O Sacred Head, Now Wounded
- When I Survey the Wondrous Cross