31.3.09

Facet Hound

A kiss on the hand
May be quite continental,
But…

Our latest excursion with our Austrian exchange student was the Natural History Museum. His choice. Once inside, the teenagers split from us old folks and the little one to parts unknown. The youngest child wanted to see the new Written in Bone exhibit. But we had to make a detour for Mama to see her favorite exhibit – the Hope Diamond. It’s more than just the diamonds that thrill me. There are rubies, and emeralds, and sapphires, and garnets, and opals, and, and, and.

Tiffany's!
Cartier!
Black Starr!
Frost Gorham!
Talk to me Harry Winston.

When I was dating my soon-to-be fiancĂ©, a childhood friend admonished me “No yellow diamonds”. Blue, red, yellow, clear – the color isn’t that important. My one desire during high school wasn’t a backseat boogie with the star football player; it was that delicate necklace on display at the corner jewelry store. Every Friday evening as the high school crowd would gather for Friday-night “cruising”, my first stop was the corner window to covet what I couldn’t afford and, as a teenager, didn’t need.

But stiff back
Or stiff knees,
You stand straight at Tiffany's.

Nowadays, the resources are budgeted towards college tuition for the kids and retirement for my husband and me. Indulgences are limited to four-star restaurants, spa half-days, and Godfather trilogy Blu-Rays – things that don’t have to be financed. But every now and then, standing close and gazing at the sparkling ice is just what the doctor ordered.

But square-cut or pear-shaped,
These rocks don't loose their shape.
Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

2 comments:

  1. I'd rather have land. Although, if anyone proposes to me at this point in my old-maidenness (one "n" or two?) they better have a huge honkin' rock to put on my finger or it's a no-go. I'll even help pay for it. But if I'm gonna give up my freedom at this point it's doubtful that just love would make it worthwhile. Yes, I have cultivated quite the selfish streak after all these years of living alone.

    ReplyDelete