3.3.09

Puss and Ludes

There is a small tear in one of the discs in my lower back. The spinal fluid chemically irritates the nerve which causes awful lower back pain that radiates down my leg to my toes, to the point of making my toes feel like there are pins and needles in my shoes, my socks, or even on the bare floor. My doctor finally found a combination of meds that dull the pain enough for me to make it through the day without too much agony. But those same pills are enough to also knock me out if I end up doing something non-active like, say, eating lunch.

To help with the joints, the doctor also recommends taking fish oil every day. After adding in the calcium tablets and the other vitamins, to keep track of all the pills I had to buy a multiple-slot pill caddy. My kids joke that it looks like a senior citizen's pill caddy.

Last night at supper, I discovered that one of the cats had knocked off the pill caddy during the day. After putting everything back in, three pills were missing. Two fish oil capsules and one Schedule C pain pill. The cat was probably going for the fish oil. But that explains why he slept all day yesterday and all night without getting up once.

4 comments:

  1. Have you considered surgery? I have just been through a discectomy a fortnight ago and some (but not all)of the severe tingling (and I had numbness all up the leg too) has eased so far...

    It may get even better apparently, but possibly never go altogether... No-one can say yet...

    I am more or less off the painkillers too, for they do make you very woozy - Poor kitty-cat!

    Take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that you are able to get this fixed soon and you don't have to live your life on schedule C meds. That isn't a good quality of life. Hugs and good thoughts coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my... that is so not good. For you or the kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm. Schedule C meds. I have no idea what that means but it sounds fabulously refreshing (unless you actually NEED them).

    ReplyDelete