13.6.11

Damn This Traffic Jam

We're now in the second third of the 30 Day Non-Facebook Prose-Instead-of-Pictures Challenge and they're getting harder. Before we get to today's topic, here are the last three.

9.A picture of the person who has gotten you through the most - Ναι.
10.A picture of the person you do the most ****** up things with - Sim.
11.A picture of something you hate - Here!

Hate is such a strong word.  Believe it or not, it's not the opposite of love.  Both love and hate are emotions, strong emotions.  The opposite of love (or hate) is indifference.  But today's post isn't about semantics.  It's about something concrete.  Something I hate.

Let's see now.  The eulogy at my funeral will include a reference to the three people in my life - those I love, those I hate, and those I never met.  Passion is a major part of me.  If our paths have crossed, you fall into one of the two earlier categories.  If you've never introduced yourself, please do.  I don't bite.  I can actually be a very nice person.  Most of the time.

Sometimes people can fall into both the first and the second categories at the same time.  How?  My pet peeve.

Seeing as how my city has one of the worst records for traffic in the U.S., it makes sense that my pet peeve has to do with traffic.  If I know and love you but you are caught in my pet peeve, that's how you'll be both loved and hated at the same time.  My pet peeve?

When traffic is slow and backed up at an intersection, I don't enter the box in case the light changes and I get stuck in the box.  Anyone who has driven in New York City knows about "Don't Block the Box".  But there is inevitably some jerk waiting to turn right into the backed up line of traffic who uses my courtesy as an invitation to whip right on in line ahead of me even though it means that no one else can pull through the intersection before the light turns red.  Oo, I hate that!  It steams me!  Depending on the day and my mood, the driver might get anywhere from a honk to a finger to rolling my window down and yelling at the moron. 

Word of warning to anyone driving on the East Coast - if you see a redhead in a white convertible not blocking the box in heavy traffic, do not, I repeat, do not pull your car in front of me thinking that I'm letting you in line.  Got it?  Good.  Now back to your regularly happy Mrs. Gaelic.

[Title taken from this.]

[Happy Birthday to anyone born today!]

3 comments:

  1. One has to admit that driving in your City is pretty dispiriting. All those one way dead end roads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, this is one of my hates, too. You've seen my idea of traffic, on Rt 66!! Although when I was in DC, quite a few years ago, I did well. It helped that my then 13 year old niece was with me, so I couldn't have gotten too profane, anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree!

    http://gailsgreatatlanticnortheast.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete