24.1.11

How To Limp Dangerously

Hello blogworld!  My one-handed typing is getting better.  Time to update all my buddies on the finger.

The surgery was Saturday morning.  While checking in at the hospital, I ran into another orthopaedic doctor.  He was my doctor when I tore my MCL while skiing several years ago.  He and my hand doctor are in the same practice.  My skiing-injury doc had seen the x-rays of my finger and commented, "It looks like a grenade went off in your hand."  When I mess up something, I really mess it up royally.

And apparently the x-rays lied.  My finger bone wasn't in three pieces; it was in five.  That means there are five pins in my finger holding it together.  Covered by a huge-assed cast.  So huge in fact that several of the big burly Capitol Police officers actually winced upon seeing it.  One greeted me in the cafeteria with "Ouch!" when he saw my claw of a bandage.

There's no timeline yet on how long I'll be in a cast or information on physical therapy.  My follow-up with the hand doctor is Friday.  Maybe I'll get to see the ski-injury doc while at the office.  He's really handsome.  But not handsome enough to tear an MCL or break a finger just to get to see him.

8 comments:

  1. Ugh. I hope the healing goes better than expected and you are out of the cast sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of calcium and Vit D! And Zinc. all for good healing. Hope you can do your job without too much pain. Praying for quick healing and less pain for you.. be careful on the ice!
    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that damage in one little hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fate REALLY gave you the finger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot damn, I've been missing for a few days, so I must go back and check up on this Wifie, sounds pain-pain-painful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What Jean said about the vitamins and minerals.

    Is it your preferred hand? Hope not.

    Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I am so so sorry this happened.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you said you were going to update on the finger, I went to a dark place for a moment - but, whew! Since it looks like a grenade went off in your hand, I would (were it me) begin making vague references to "the time I was in Baghdad" or some such and get some real traction out of it all.

    ReplyDelete