3.1.11

Is It Friday Yet?

We pulled away from the house this morning at 7:40 a.m. and returned at 8:35 p.m.  You've got to be kidding me!  Five days a week, 48 weeks a year, for the next 13 years?  Lunch was eaten at my desk all the while still working.  This is insane!  Granted, we had to go straight from work to pick up Maeve from her ballet class.  But still.  Mondays will be long days.

Tomorrow Mr. Gaelic has to be at his office at 7:45 a.m.  We'll probably leave around 7:15.  No ballet, so we'll be home by 6:45 p.m.  Then the schedule gets better with "normal" hours of leaving around 8:00 a.m. and returning around 6:45. 

Eleven, twelve, thirteen hour days are the norm for people who work on Capitol Hill.  Once, in my first incarnation on the Hill, I was still in the office at 11:00 p.m.  At Mr. Gaelic's present office, he has even had days that lasted until 1:30 a.m.  Yes, that's almost an 18-hour day. 

God, it feels great to be back where I started!

7 comments:

  1. Pacing is important. It's a marathon rather than a sprint mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Laoch, this is actually normal pacing for folks on the Hill (or in lobbying firms). When one's boss is always running for office, the sprint becomes the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your sentence made me sympathy tired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a New Year's resolution for you. No more birthdays (for you, that is). As long as you stay young, you can sprint AND run and keep up, but the older you get, the more the knees give out, ouch. Take those lunches with Mr Gaelic every chance you get. Just think, only 12 yrs, 364 more days to go! I'm only half teasing you. Part is serious and the other part of me sends sympathy.
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for making me feel better about my retirement! i was having second thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember those long hours from my brother's stint in the TX House of Reps. There's A LOT of standing around with your thumb up your ass in politics, and all the office people have to wait for the politician to pull it out and sniff it so they can get movin' again. Have I ever mentioned how much I despise politics? So much turmoil all the time. Ugh. I think it takes a "callin'" for people who enjoy working on The Hill.

    ReplyDelete