9.1.11

Menu Plan: January 10 - January 16

In actuality it may have been only a week since the last menu plan was posted. It feels like two weeks. In the intervening seven days, my first experience in the paid workforce in many years began; my boss was sworn in as a freshman Member of Congress; another congressman and a senator both called me by name and hugged me in front of my coworkers; and I met another congressman who went to high school with my brother-in-law. Additionally, my New Year’s Resolution of cutting back on fast food for lunch is intact. And finally, a congresswoman from Arizona was shot at an official public event which killed at least one of her staffers.

Welcome to the life of a public servant.

The only rub is actually preparing a nutritious supper for the children, Mr. Gaelic, and me. The plan that I so diligently worked on last weekend in preparation for the first week on the job fell to pieces on Wednesday. Maybe working 52 hours this week had something to do with it. Wednesday and Thursday evenings ended up not with supper but with falling into bed two hours before my usual bedtime.

Lunches on the other hand ended up being much healthier than my usual fast food drive-thru. Truth be told, the plans for sack lunches fell apart Sunday evening when they weren’t prepared ahead of time. Instead, the cafeteria in my building has a variety of vegetables sides that end up being afterthoughts for most folks.

Here is this week’s plan.
  • Monday
    • Breakfast: oatmeal
    • Lunch: cafeteria meal
    • Supper: uhhhh…
  • Tuesday
    • Breakfast: cereal
    • Lunch: cafeteria meal 
    • Supper: hmmm… 
  • Wednesday
    • Breakfast: soft boiled eggs, toast
    • Lunch: cafeteria meal 
    • Supper: to be determined… 
  • Thursday
    • Breakfast: cream of wheat
    • Lunch: cafeteria meal 
    • Supper: no earthly idea… 
  • Friday
    • Breakfast: cinnamon toast
    • Lunch: cafeteria meal 
    • Supper: pint of ice cream or popcorn???
  • Saturday
    • Breakfast: sausage, eggs, grits, toast
    • Lunch: tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwiches
    • Supper: let’s just stand in front of the freezer until something comes to mind
  • Sunday
    • Breakfast: waffles, sausage
    • Dinner: roast chicken, carrots, green beans
    • Supper: can we have tomato soup and grilled cheese again???
For those of you who may have been snowed by my pretense of organization, you can see from the week’s menu that I plan to focus my organizational skills, and finite amount of brain energy, on getting my boss’s schedule under control. After that, I’ll be back to organize my family’s meals.

8 comments:

  1. We rarely have supper around here. Everyone is going in different directions at different times, it's impossilbe to put it all together

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dinner solutions during busy times like you are going through is to go a big supermarket which has a big vegetable section and to buy pre chopped vegetables and pre cut meet and pre made sauce and bring it home to stir fry. The cooking of this takes less than 10 minutes and produces reasonably healthy and tasty food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This still looks way more organized than my household.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? You didn't cook all day Saturday or Sunday to prepare meals for the next week's suppers so all the Gaelics had to do was heat-n-eat? I hate to tell you this, but you're back in the land of frozen casseroles and crock-pot meals...

    ReplyDelete
  5. God Bless the new Freshmen class...I wish them well...good luck to you as you work with them...enjoyed my visit...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I'm playing blog catch up today and I love your "for supper" notes, HAHAHA. Now that's normal!
    Have to tell you something, 2 things: first, saw you on the clip, what a cutie if even from the side and in a blink :)
    2nd, the link is NOT gone from a notation you made to Ramblingon and to me when we both asked if you'd taped it. So you might want to go back to that post and run the link out. On the other hand, it's been some days now so it might not even be a worry. I AM sorry you have a stalker. I've been that route twice over at WLS and had to delete my entire space 2 different times. Ticked off? Omg, yes.
    Ok, today is Sunday so I know you're getting things in order for another week. Excited?
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you need a crockpot! May I suggest this site: http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/ I have found some great recipes here. Jave pot roast is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well...my breakfast and quick lunch snack routine was shot to hell a couple of weeks ago when the McDonald's on our side of town burned to the ground! Now I have to use Hardees (which I really like), but, their drive-thru is too slow! Same with Arby's and Wendy's.
    Wife is restarting her Weight Watchers and power walking videos this week...so, I have to be careful what I cook so not to lead her into temptation (tick her off with envy)!
    So, no more bacon and eggs, fried chicken, fried pork chops, onion rings, or mashed potatoes and gravy. Not that I cook like that anyway very often!

    ReplyDelete