2.1.11

Menu Plan: January 3 - January 9

Now that my dirty little secret isn't so secret anymore, perhaps the menu plans will include lunch.  My dirty little secret?  Fast-food drive-thru for lunch.  As a full-time mother for the last 15 years, I fell into the habit of eating fast food while out running errands.  Eating in the car between stops meant more efficiency.  But at the expense of my waistline, and maybe my health.

Starting an office job tomorrow means either taking my lunch or eating in the cafeteria.  At least for the first week.  Mr. Gaelic suggested getting away from the office for lunch.  It's good to have a change of scenery. 

So, for Laoch and Gail, here is an attempt at eating a clean lunch. 
  • Monday
    • Breakfast: cream of wheat
    • Lunch:  ham and Swiss on sourdough, chips, apple, 2 chocolate pieces
    • Supper: chef's surprise (Finola is still home from college and will cook)
  • Tuesday
    • Breakfast: cereal
    • Lunch:  turkey and provolone on spelt, chips, clementine, 2 chocolate pieces
    • Supper: beef Stroganov (Deirdre's specialty since she will cook)
  • Wednesday
    • Breakfast: soft boiled eggs, toast
    • Lunch:  office reception (it's Swearing-In day for the 112th Congress)
    • Supper: kidney beans, fried okra, kale
  • Thursday
    • Breakfast: oatmeal
    • Lunch:  ham and Swiss on spelt, chips, banana, 2 chocolate pieces
    • Supper: vegetable soup, homemade bread (probably overly ambitious but we'll see)
  • Friday
    • Breakfast: cinnamon toast
    • Lunch:  turkey and provolone on sourdough, chips, apple, 2 chocolate pieces
    • Supper: dinner out to celebrate the first week on the job
  • Saturday
    • Breakfast: sausage, eggs, grits, toast
    • Lunch:  leftover soup
    • Supper: steak, baked potato
  • Sunday
    • Breakfast: waffles, sausage
    • Dinner: chicken 'n' dumplin's, broccoli, carrots
    • Supper:  PB&J sandwiches, chips
I need to work on a side for my lunches.  Easing back into making lunches means only thinking about the mains for now, which are still sandwiches at this uncreative point.  The two chocolate pieces?  Mr. Gaelic gave me two boxes of Godiva chocolates for Christmas.  The boxes are still unopened.  They will be my dessert in my sack lunch.

Truth be told, I have mixed emotions about my new job.  I'm excited to be back in the political world of Capitol Hill.  At the same time, I'm anxious about the logistics of latch-key kids, wholesome suppers, and running errands.  Heaven help me.

Almighty God, whose Son Jesus Christ in his earthly life
shared our toil and hallowed our labor: Be present with
thy people where they work; make those who carry on
the industries and commerce of this land responsive to thy
will; and give to us all a pride in what we do, and a just
return for our labor; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who
liveth and reigneth with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.  (BCP, p. 208)

9 comments:

  1. Your job will be new and there will be adjustments. I'm ("we're," cause there's a whole room of newbees) still getting used to it, but hopefully, soon it will all make sense. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. (I go back to work tomorrow.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have checked out your menus hoping to find some healthy eating for myself.. but unfortunately some of the ingredients are alien to me :-(, also I love my tea and you haven't got it on there, but I do sympathise with the chocolate, I was naughty to-day and finished a box about 8 Lindt LOL
    Good luck on your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggle with the "filler" (sides) in my lunches, too. I usually go with baked chips, crudites (cucumbers, carrots, celery mostly) with a low-fat dip, or apple slices with peanut butter. Or a V8. I depend heavily on the powdered one-serving drink mixes that I add to a glass of water (I don't do bottled water unless I hafta). My afternoon snack is always nuts. Emerald Almonds has fabulous almonds with cocoa powder on them. Not like chocolate-covered but delish! I keep small frozen dinners and one-serving canned soups for days when I don't have time, or didn't prepare for, a sack lunch. The Lean Cuisine or Weight Watcher dinners are just right for lunch and come with the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my last years of working, I bought 5 ready-made salads every week and ate those for my lunches. Some places make pretty good salads (Friday's salad was usually a bit limp). The health aspect was lessened by 1) the amount of dressing I used and 2) by the license it seemed to give me to gobble everything in sight for supper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen, my dear friend. That was a heartfelt and sincere prayer that He will honor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a good idea to force yourself to slow down a bit this week. It will no doubt be a very stressful week but Rome was not built in a day and your office will take some time to get together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummm on the V8, love that stuff.
    Gaelic, the clock is ticking, but it's all going to work out just fine. You are forgetting how organized you really are, so even in an unorganized moment for you, it will fall right into place. Ever use a pressure cooker? I couldn't live without my 2. Also, there's always the crockpot, although I hardly ever use mine. Now your husband's idea of lunch out is great AND it's romantic and thoughtful, too. Hand him a gold star for me :)
    I'm late in my blog walk, but I just read your last post about the eve party, and you guys did the exact right thing by that boy. God, doesn't your heart just break for him.
    Ok, go to bed at a decent hour and get up with a smile and a ton of energy tomorrow. We'll all be rootin' ya on! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, I was kind of glad to find a chink in your Renaissance woman armor (the fast food)! Even your lunches sound gourmet.

    Bless you as you work in the heart of our nation. May your office be a place of Godly change.

    ReplyDelete