Mr. Gaelic was away on business this week. It was also Homecoming week at the high school. Deirdre was out every night as she was on the Homecoming committee. Friday night started the weekend with a bonfire at the high school which we were informed not to go to. Instead we headed next door to our neighbor's impromptu art gallery.
He's a closet artist and finally decided to show his work by turning his living room and dining room into an art gallery, complete with a tended bar on the front porch and signage with prices for the artwork.
The weekend continued early on Saturday with our First Annual Muffins and Mugs party. Everyone was instructed to bring their our mug. Our homebaked muffins included regular, blueberry, blueberry-corn, orange, lemon-poppy seed, bran, apple-gingerbread, banana-nut, carrot-raisin (using carrots from my garden), and chocolate-chocolate chip. Following our Saturday morning party was our neighborhood art festival. Then a quick shower before the cocktail party at the former ambassador's house and a stroll around downtown near the river. We still had to stay up to make sure that Deirdre got home safely from the Homecoming dance.
Thinking back on it makes me tired. Which is why we slept late, skipped church (with our priest's blessing), and took a car ride for two in the country. It was heaven. We rode through beautifully cool backroads stopping for things like farmers' markets and scenic overlooks. Now I need to work the fruit we bought into our menu. At least as afternoon snacks or in Mr. Gaelic's lunchbox.
- Breakfast: baked apple
- Supper: spaghetti, sala
- Breakfast: cerea
- Supper: pinto beans, risotto with peas, baked acorn squash with maple syrup
- Breakfast: cinnamon toas
- Supper: baked eggs, toasted baguettes (use only half a loaf), mesclun salad with pears, walnuts, and goat cheese
- Breakfast: cream of wheat (okay, okay, I know that's a brand name, but I was raised calling it that just as I learned Kleenex instead of facial tissue and Vaseline instead of petroleum jelly
- Supper: lentil soup, fresh home-baked bread
- Breakfast: toast, fig preserve
- Supper: tuna casserole, salad
- Breakfast: whoopie waffles
- Supper: cassoulet, baguettes (other half of the loaf)
- Breakfast: sausage gravy, buttermilk biscuit
- Dinner: roast chicken, potatoes Anna, broccoli