14.1.09

I'll Take Farm Animals for a Thousand

Having a sick child stay home from school is getting harder and harder the older they get. Usually I have lunch either with friends or with the newspaper. I don’t have lunch with just my youngest child and me very often at all. But it happened yesterday when a nasty head cold made the thought of going to school miserable.

As we sat down to a salad (moi) and Spaghetti-O’s (her), the questions began.

“Do you know what a dog does when it goes like this?” She proceeds to pant with her tongue hanging out.

When I knew the answer, she upped the ante with, “Do you know what a horse can’t do?”

Talk, was the first thing that ran through my smart-assed brain. But I restrained myself and said, “No, tell me.”

“A horse can’t vomit.” She then told me in great detail about a horse’s digestive tract.

We talked about other things for a while as we finished up our lunches. Then she looked at me and asked, “Can chickens burp?”

I’ll be so glad when she’s well enough to go back to school.

4 comments:

  1. I remember having a similar conversation with my mom 40 years ago or so. I stumped her with the query "can elephants swim?" (they actually are quite good swimmers). I was certain that my mom was fascinated by these factoids, but it seems ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautifully wrought vignette, Gaelic Wife...

    My 16 year old son is at home today with a sore throat, I have recommended he just sleep it out, so he feels better, when really it is so I can be on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She didn't know if chicken burp. I certainly don't. Any farmers out there know the answer?

    ReplyDelete