27.1.09

St. Vincent Midaze

My eldest child seems to think that she can stay up until midnight doing homework, get up the next day at 6:30 to get ready for school and still be able to function during the day without her work suffering or herself crashing. At breakfast this morning, we were having oatmeal since the forecast called for snow and the children needed something that would stick to their ribs. Our family doctors up the oatmeal with a pat of butter, a short handful of raisins, and a sprinkling of brown sugar.

Being the last one to table this morning, she tried to open the plastic liner bag of brown sugar. She was complaining that the bag hadn’t been opened and was about to rip the end seam out of the bag when my husband took the bag from her, flipped it around, and showed her the opened end that everyone had used.

“I think you’re sleep deprived,” he said as my brunette child had a quizzical blonde-headed look on her face.

Her current creed is:

My candle burns at both ends

It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light.
-Edna St. Vincent Millay

2 comments:

  1. At this rate she will be President someday desperately wishing for time to nap!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend a lovely nap,
    If not, then, definitely a mocha frap.
    But if she's as cranky as your story sounded,
    She'll get lots of rest when she's home and grounded.
    I wish I could be as smart as queen,
    As I was when I was seventeen.

    ReplyDelete